The Child Find process serves children birth to 21-years old in each of our school districts. For children birth to 5-years old we host an annual Child Find screening event in each community. Screenings include development, health, dental, vision, and hearing. Individual screenings for children birth to 3-years old are available throughout the year by individual appointment.
To schedule an appointment please view the ChildFind Schedule and Appointment page. After we receive your appointment request, we will send additional appointment details and confirmation within 2 business days.
Referrals for students Kindergarten through 12th Grade are made to the individual school through their Student Teacher Assistance Teams (STAT). Parent referrals and referrals for drop-outs can be made by calling the UnBOCES office - (970) 626-2977.
Child Find Screening and Assessment Process
Step 1: Screening
Screening is a "snapshot view" of the child's capabilities in language, thinking skills, fine and gross motor skills, and social and emotional abilities. Screening compares the child's skills with typically developing children his same age. If additional information is needed, an assessment is scheduled.
Step 2: Assessment
Assessment is an in-depth look at the child's development by a team of early childhood specialists and the parents. Assessment includes a Routines Based Interview about the child's typical day and a customized play based assessment. Through play, the child's current skills in language, thinking skills, fine motor skills, gross motor skills, and social emotional skills.
- moves arms and legs easily, smiles and coos, lifts head up when lying on tummy
- reaches and grasps a toy, rolls over, babbles, holds head without support
- imitates sounds, sits without support, knows strangers from family, passes objects hand to hand
- crawls, jabbers word like sounds, pulls self to stand, follows simple requests
- says mama, dada, and a few other words, feeds self finger food, begins walking with help
- walks alone, points to familiar objects when named, takes off shoes and socks
- combines two words together, runs, jumps, throws a ball, beginning pretend play
- follows a two step direction, uses objects symbolically (block for a car), wants to please
- hops on one foot, expresses his own feelings, draws recognizable figures, shows concern for others
To schedule an appointment please complete the Screening Program Form and look at the Child Find Schedule and Appointment page. If you plan to register your child for any of the Child Find Programs, please complete this form and bring it with you to your specific location on your appointed date.
Appointments may be made by phone or email (electronic preferred).